Office of Cultural & Linguistic Competence Vision & Objectives
The DBHDS vision for culturally competent care is:
- Care that is given with understanding of and respect for the consumerís health-related beliefs and cultural values
- Staff that respect health related beliefs, interpersonal styles, and attitudes and behaviors of the consumers, families, and communities they serve
- Administrative, management and clinical operations that include routine assessments and implementation of processes which result in a workforce that is culturally and linguistically competent and a system that provides the highest quality of care to all communities
- Establish a system that delivers services in a culturally sensitive manner to consumers that are receiving service in Virginiaís mental health, intellectual disabilities, and substance use disorder system.
- Coordinate the development of an Agency Cultural Competence Plan and its integration into agency policies, systems, program requirements and regulations.
- Provide resources and support for the implementation of cultural competence requirements of providers.
- Establish a steering committee to serve as an advisory body to the Office of Cultural & Linguistic Competence.
- Support development of guidelines for linguistic standards and a "needs assessment" for linguistic services.
- Identify and promote cultural competence training programs to enhance staff ability in providing culturally appropriate service.
- ∑Top of Page
- ∑RSS Feed
- .Site Map
- Document Help: Adobe PDF
- ∑Windows Media Player
- ∑UnZip files
If you have trouble opening a document, you may need to download one of the above free plug-ins (WinZip is a trial version). For comments or questions about this site, please Email the Webmaster. Thank you for visiting the Commonwealth of Virginia DBHDS Web site. © Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services.