Public comment on DMHMRSAS name change by August 15th
DMHMRSAS has had its current name for more than 20 years. During that time, many states have updated their agenciesí names to reflect current values and perceptions and to address feelings about certain language and biases. Also, during that time, many, many people, including legislators and advocates, have complained about the Departmentís name being unwieldy and far too long. Thus, the time for giving this department a new, more current name has arrived.
The Departmentís partners statewide and the general public are invited to review the options below and respond with a preferred choice by the new deadline of August 15, 2008. Additionally, you may submit any comments or suggestions for alternatives that address the goals of the name change below.
- To shorten the current name and acronym,
- To consistently use positive terms related to the impact of the Departmentís services, rather than listing disabilities or conditions addressed by those services, and
- To use terms that are more reflective of the Departmentís values and mission statement and more inclusive of current programs (versus exclusive Ďsiloí terms) and any future additions to the services the Department provides and the populations served.
These choices are listed in no preferential order, only alphabetically:
- Department of Behavioral and Developmental Services (DBDS)
- Department of Behavioral Health and Supportive Services (DBHSS)
- Department of Behavioral and Supportive Services (DBSS)
- Department of Supportive and Recovery Services (DSRS)
Again, in addition to sending your choice from these, you may submit any
comments or suggestions for alternatives that address the goals of the name
Please review the options above and click here to respond with a preferred choice or an alternative by the new deadline of August 15, 2008.
August 15th marks the end of the request for public comment; however, the process for changing the name of an agency is legislative, meaning the name must be changed in state law (Code of Virginia). Typically, this comes in a bill from the Governor, which is then voted on by the Virginia General Assembly. It is expected that such a bill will be introduced for consideration by the 2009 General Assembly in January.
Here is a recent example of a bill to change a department name. The 2000
General Assembly renamed the Department of Emergency Management in House Bill
To view that bill, click here: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=001&typ=bil&val=Hb1352
For general information about the Virginia General Assembly, click here:
- ∑Top of Page
- ∑RSS Feed
- .Site Map
- Document Help: Adobe PDF
- ∑Windows Media Player
- ∑UnZip files
If you have trouble opening a document, you may need to download one of the above free plug-ins (WinZip is a trial version). For comments or questions about this site, please Email the Webmaster. Thank you for visiting the Commonwealth of Virginia DBHDS Web site. © Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services.