Subscribe to DBHDS RSS Feed
- 04.07.2014 - OP/Ed - No simple mental health system answers, by DBHDS Acting Commissioner John Pezzoli
- 03.21.2014 – Governor McAuliffe Names Debra Ferguson New DBHDS Commissioner
- 03.21.2014 – Mental Health First Aid will certify instructors to train others how to respond to mental health crises
- 03.07.2014 – DBHDS to Hold Suicide Prevention Training
- 03.04.2014 – Psychiatric Bed Registry Goes Live
- 01.06.2014 – Commissioner Stewart’s Presentation Before the Senate Finance Health and Human Resources Subcommittee on the Governor’s Budget Request for DBHDS
- 12.20.2013 – Creating Opportunities Report of Accomplishments
- 12.18.2013 – UVA Report Reveals New Data on Access to Mental Health Crisis Care in Virginia
- 12.18.2013 – Sale Finalized of Surplus Property at SEVTC, Proceeds to Go in Trust Fund
- 12.10.2013 – Governor Proposes New Mental Health Funding and Issues Executive Order 68
- 12.05.2013 – Grants Awarded to Help Improve Services for Children with Mental Health Needs
- 11.18.2013 – Event Aims To Improve Virginia's Criminal Justice System, Behavioral Health Efforts
- 11.12.2013 – Mr. Connie Cochran Named DBHDS Assistant Commissioner for Developmental Services
- 11.01.2013 – Four of VA's Public Psychiatric Hospitals Earn Top Recognition from National Accreditor
- 10.03.2013 – Reflecting Briefly – Looking to the Future, by Commissioner Stewart
- 09.26.2013 – Bonaventura named new CVTC Director
- 09.17.2013 – Western State Hospital to Hold Ribbon-Cutting for New Hospital
- 09.09.2013 – Conference to be held to improve collaboration between mental health and criminal justice systems
- 09.04.2013 – September is Older Virginians’ Mental Health Month
- 08.29.2013 – DBHDS to accept applications Sept. 3, 2013 for Individual and Family Support Program
- 06.06.2013 – Virginia Forum on Recovery to be Held Next Week
- 05.06.2013 – Children’s Mental Health Awareness Event at the Diamond
- 05.01.2013 – Commissioner Stewart’s May 1, 2013 State of the State Speech at VACSB Conference
Voices of Hope and Recovery is a film about the struggles and victories of five Virginians who have overcome the grip of mental illness to live life on their own terms. Created by award-winning Virginia filmmaker Robert Griffith, along with an original score by acclaimed Virginia singer/songwriter Steve Bassett, this 50-minute documentary illustrates the power of hope and the possibility of recovery from serious mental illness. Click to watch: Voices of Hope and Recovery (52 minutes); Film Trailer (3 minutes 30 seconds); Film Trailer (30 seconds).
This film was made possible by funds from the federal Mental Health Block Grant through DBHDS. Two film trailers were sponsored by a partnership between the VCU Department of Psychiatry and federal Mental Health Block Grant funds through DBHDS. Contact Meghan McGuire for more information.
Community Services: Maximizing Choice for Individuals with Intellectual Disability explores community supports and services for Virginians with intellectual disability. This 35 minute film was produced for DBHDS by Wright Brothers Films. Click to watch: Part 1 (16 minutes 28 seconds); Part 2 (12 minutes 50 seconds); Part 3 (5 minutes).
Hampton-Newport News CSB’s Crisis Stabilization – Emergency Services, produced by Pam Wright and Phillip Wright. Click to watch: Film (5 minutes 35 seconds)
My Life – A New Adventure, a DBHDS-created video details stories of individuals who have moved from Virginia Training Centers to new homes in communities of their choice through the Money Follows the Person Demonstration Project. Click to watch: My Life – A New Adventure
VA Psychiatric Bed Registry Video: Updating Psychiatric Bed Registry
For all media inquiries, please contact Meghan McGuire or by phone at 804-786-9048.
- ·Top of Page
- ·RSS Feed
- .Site Map
- Document Help: Adobe PDF
- ·Windows Media Player
- ·UnZip files
If you have trouble opening a document, you may need to download one of the above free plug-ins (WinZip is a trial version). For comments or questions about this site, please Email the Webmaster. Thank you for visiting the Commonwealth of Virginia DBHDS Web site. © Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services.