Subscribe to DBHDS RSS Feed
- 06.06.2013 – Virginia Forum on Recovery to be Held Next Week
- 05.06.2013 – Children’s Mental Health Awareness Event at the Diamond
- 05.01.2013 – Commissioner Stewart’s May 1, 2013 State of the State Speech at VACSB Conference
- 03.07.2013 – Gov. McDonnell proclaims March Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month
- 02.19.2013 – Daniel Herr named director at Southern Virginia Mental Health Institute
- 01.11.2013 – "Virginia’s Implementation of The Settlement Agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice" by Commissioner Stewart
- 11.26.2012 – David Lyon named director at Eastern State
- 11.26.2012 – James R. Newton named new director at NVMHI
- 10.26.2012 – Governor McDonnell Announces Initiative to Promote Substance Abuse Awareness and Prevention for Virginia’s Youth
- 10.16.2012 – Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) conference to be held in Charlottesville
- 10.11.2012 – New Children's Mental Health Crisis Programs Underway
- 10.05.2012 – Gov. McDonnell announces new appointments to State BHDS Board
- 08.24.2012 – Governor McDonnell Announces Approval of Judge’s Settlement Agreement Regarding VA’s Intellectual and Developmental Disability Services System
- 05.09.2012 – SEVTC Opens New Residential Housing
- 04.29.2012 – Governor McDonnell Recognizes May 9 as Children’s Mental Health Day
- 04.02.2012 – DBHDS Child and Family Services partners with the Virginia Tech Richmond Center to help those in need
- 03.23.2012 – Governor McDonnell Recognizes April as Autism Awareness Month
- 01.26.2012 – Settlement Agreement Announced with the U.S. Department of Justice on Virginia's Intellectual and Developmental Disability System
Voices of Hope and Recovery is a film about the struggles and victories of five Virginians who have overcome the grip of mental illness to live life on their own terms. Created by award-winning Virginia filmmaker Robert Griffith, along with an original score by acclaimed Virginia singer/songwriter Steve Bassett, this 50-minute documentary illustrates the power of hope and the possibility of recovery from serious mental illness. Click to watch: Voices of Hope and Recovery (52 minutes); Film Trailer (3 minutes 30 seconds); Film Trailer (30 seconds).
This film was made possible by funds from the federal Mental Health Block Grant through DBHDS. Two film trailers were sponsored by a partnership between the VCU Department of Psychiatry and federal Mental Health Block Grant funds through DBHDS. Contact Meghan McGuire for more information.
Community Services: Maximizing Choice for Individuals with Intellectual Disability explores community supports and services for Virginians with intellectual disability. This 35 minute film was produced for DBHDS by Wright Brothers Films. Click to watch: Part 1 (16 minutes 28 seconds); Part 2 (12 minutes 50 seconds); Part 3 (5 minutes).
Hampton-Newport News CSB’s Crisis Stabilization – Emergency Services, produced by Pam Wright and Phillip Wright. Click to watch: Film (5 minutes 35 seconds)
My Life – A New Adventure, a DBHDS-created video details stories of individuals who have moved from Virginia Training Centers to new homes in communities of their choice through the Money Follows the Person Demonstration Project. Click to watch: My Life – A New Adventure
[ top of page ]
For all media inquiries, please contact Meghan McGuire or by phone at 804-786-9048.
[ top of page ]
- ·Top of Page
- ·RSS Feed
- .Site Map
- Document Help: Adobe PDF
- ·Windows Media Player
- ·UnZip files
If you have trouble opening a document, you may need to download one of the above free plug-ins (WinZip is a trial version). For comments or questions about this site, please Email the Webmaster. Thank you for visiting the Commonwealth of Virginia DBHDS Web site. © Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services.