The Individual and Family Support Program (IFSP) assists individuals with developmental disabilities and their families with accessing person-centered and family-centered resources, supports, services and other assistance. The program's primary target population is individuals on the waiting list for Virginia's Developmental Disabilities (DD) Medicaid waivers.
The goal of the program is to support continued community living.
Click HERE to sign-up for important IFSP Program Updates.
October 18, 2018
The FY 2019 IFSP Application opened for submission on October 10, 2018. Since October 10th, we have seen an incredible response of individuals and families applying for FY 2019 IFSP funds. The application will continue to be available until November 8, 2018 at 5pm. Individuals who are interested in applying for the FY 2019 funds and who have not done so already may still apply. All questions about the application and requests for assistance should be directed to Senior Navigator/ My Life My Community at 844-603-9248.
September 10, 2018
Starting today, September 10th, you can view the FY 2019 IFSP Application and save a draft. To find addtional details, please go to the section of this webpage titled IFSP Funding Program Guidelines, Application, Forms, etc.
Before you begin, there are a few things we would like to remind you:
- Please remember, an individual must be on the Developmental Disability Waiver Waiting List and identified correctly in the Virginia Waiver Management System (WaMS) as of the date that their application is submitted to receive these funds. Also remember, you will not be able to submit your application(s) until October 10th at 9:00 am.
- If you have not sent in FY 2018 receipts, please continue to do so. However, staff will be unable confirm your receipts have been submitted now that the FY 2019 application is available. To find instructions on submitting your FY 2018 receipts, click here.
This year’s funding application is online only. To access the online application, please go to https://ifsponline.dbhds.virginia.gov/.
For general assistance navigating the online application, please contact My Life, My Community (operated by Senior Navigator Virginia) by phone at (844) 603-9248. The operators are trained to assist IFSP applicants and can connect you with IFSP Program staff if you need application specific support.
The maximum award amount for FY 2019 is $1,000.
August 13, 2018
Registration is now open for the IFSP Online Application. Registration must be completed online using the IFSP Online Portal. Remember: You will not be able to complete an application until September 10, 2018. To see a complete timeline for FY 2019, go to FY 2019 IFSP Funding Update, August 2018.
- If you plan to use the same email address that was used for your FY 2018 application, you do not need to register again.
- If you forgot your password, please visit the IFSP Online Portal and select "Login". On the login page, click "Forgot Password" to reset your password.
- If you registered with an email address that is no longer valid, please create a new account using your new email address. For detailed instructions on how to register, visit the IFSP Online Portal User Guide.
- If this is your first time registering an email address, please register using an email account that you check frequently. All communication about your application will be sent to your registered email.
- When you register, you will receive a confirmation email. Please follow the emailed instructions to complete the registration.
- New registrants should verify that the name and social security number of the individual who is on the DD waitlist is listed correctly on the DD Waitlist. To confirm this information, please contact your case manager at your local CSB. To find your local CSB, visit the My Life My Community Website.
Remember: You will not be able to submit an application before October 10, 2018.
June 12, 2018
Reminder: All FY 2018 IFSP Funding Applicants who received funds during the March debit card issuance must submit receipts no later than July 2nd, 2018.
As a reminder, all 2018 funds will be issued by check card. Check cards will be issued by a third-party card processor. All cards will be mailed directly to the address that was provided for the responsible party when the application was completed.
Each responsible party will receive one pre-loaded check card with funds for all of the people that were applied. The card will be delivered by USPS in an unmarked envelope with a return address from Austin, TX.
It is important that you review the IFSP Funding Program Guidelines, Application, Forms, etc. section below for information on how to register your card, receipt policies, resources for maximizing your IFSP funds, and answers to frequently asked questions.
IFSP Community Coordination
DBHDS established the Individuals and Family Support Community Coordination Program to assist families and individuals with developmental disabilities with making local connections to resources and supports that maintain community living.
The effort is a partnership led by families that have formed councils covering the five DBHDS service regions. Together, DBHDS and the IFSP State and Regional Councils have worked to establish Virginia’s Individual and Family Support State Plan and to set local goals to support its implementation.
For more information, please see the links below for helpful resources.
- IFSP Community Coordination Program
- The IFSP State and Regional Roster
- Virginia's Individual and Family Support Program State Plan for Increasing Support for Virginian's with Developmental Disabilities (November 2017)
- Overview of the Regional Council
- Overview of the State Council
- State and Regional Council Charters
For more information about the IFSP Community Coordination Program, please contact
Erika Jones-Haskins, MSW
Community Coordinator, Individual and Family Support Program
Division of Developmental Services
IFSP Funding Program
The IFSP Funding Program provides financial assistance to individuals and families awaiting services through one of Virginia's Developmental Disabilities waivers. Individuals on the waitlist may apply for financial assistance to cover eligible costs that support continued living in an independent setting.
For additional information on the IFSP Funding Program, please contact Bob Villa, IFSP Manager
IFSP Funding Program Guidelines, Application, Forms, etc.
- FY 2019 IFSP Funding Update, August 2018
- FY 2019 IFSP Funding Application Quick Tips
- FY 2019 Training Announcement
- IFSP Program Guidelines and Frequently Asked Questions (Updated August 2018)
- Pre-recorded Training Video for FY 2019 IFSP Funding
- FY 2019 IFSP On-line Application User Guide
IFSP Funding Program Go Card and Receipt Policies