State Rental Assistance Program

Home  » Developmental Services  » Housing  » State Rental Assistance Program  »

State Rental Assistance Program

The Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS) has created a State Rental Assistance Program (SRAP) to serve individuals with developmental disabilities in the Settlement Agreement population who want to live in their own rental housing. The program is designed to provide rental assistance to single person families that meet the program eligibility criteria so they have the means to lease private market rental housing that meets their needs.

Individuals will have the opportunity to choose where they live, with whom they live, and who supports them. Services and supports will be provided through sources separate from their housing, including Medicaid Waiver-funded home and community based services, natural supports, privately paid supports, and other community resources.

Please click here to download the SRAP Fact sheet.

For more information, click here to view our Independent Housing Webinars. Webinar #2, "Rental Assistance and Housing Resources," provides an overview of the State Rental Assistance Program.

SRAP is available in the following counties and cities.


  • Albemarle County
  • Bedford County
  • Buchanan County
  • Chesterfield County
  • Dickenson County
  • Fairfax County
  • Fluvanna County
  • Greene County
  • Hanover County
  • Henrico County
  • Henry County
  • Lee County
  • Louisa County
  • Nelson County
  • Pittsylvania County
  • Prince William County
  • Roanoke County
  • Russell County
  • Scott County
  • Smyth County
  • Tazewell County
  • Wise County
  • Wythe County


  • Bedford City
  • Bristol City
  • Charlottesville City
  • Chesapeake City
  • Covington City
  • Danville City
  • Fairfax City
  • Lynchburg City
  • Martinsville City
  • Norfolk City
  • Richmond City
  • Roanoke City
  • Salem City
  • Virginia Beach City

Referral Policies

Please click here to download the DBHDS Housing Resource Referral Policies.

Making a Housing Referral

Please click here to download the forms required to access the State Rental Assistance Program and other housing resources for the Settlement Agreement Population. A CSB Support Coordinator or private case manager under contract with a Community Services Board must make the referral.

If the person that you are referring already lives in his or her own housing, please complete and submit the budget form attached to the referral.

Support Coordinator Checklist

The Support Coordinator/Case Manager checklist enumerates the tasks support coordinators/case managers should complete with individuals to ensure they are prepared to use housing resources (e.g., housing choice vouchers, SRAP, etc.) in a timely manner; if they are referred. Submission of a referral occurs after a variety of tasks have been accomplished. This is important as performing these steps first increases the likelihood a person will be prepared to use the housing resource, and decreases the chances a person will be determined ineligible or decline the housing resource after it is offered. If you need assistance with helping someone transition, please contact the DBHDS housing specialist for your region.

Please click here to download the checklist.

Main Page